- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Author’s Note:  No real spoilers to mention.  There is a mention of the Scary Sherry 2: Bianca’s Toast episode.  There is some violence in the story.  Nothing too graphic.  This is a little dark for Psych.  But I wanted to write a story where you see Henry’s concern for Shawn.  You see it in the show, but generally it is in subtle ways.  The title is a Latin proverb.  This is the first Psych fic I’ve done and, so please be kind.  It’s almost done and will update regularly.  Thanks and I hope you enjoy.
Author's Chapter Notes:
The story may start out a little slow, but please be patient.

Shawn sat at his desk in the Psych office with his feet propped up.  He had the television on the channel 8 news, while playing his hand held video game. 

"Today in Santa Barbara, a thirty-three year old male was found dead in his apartment.  Police say that Gregory Hastings was shot once in the head."

Shawn put lowered his game and turned toward the television.  "Hastings, Hastings.  I know that name," he said out loud to himself. 

The newscaster continued, "The Police have no leads at this time."

"Oh, big shocker," Shawn chuckled as he continued playing.  Then he looked up at the clock.  "Better get going," he said as he headed over to his Dad's for dinner.  He was locking the front door when a tall gray haired man in his sixties tapped him on the shoulder.  Shawn jumped slightly.  The man was well built for someone his age, yet looked fatigued, almost lost.  Shawn found himself feeling slightly sorry for the guy and he hardly knew him.  "Keep it low key," he thought.

"Are you Shawn Spencer, the psychic," the man asked.

"Yes, can I help you with something?" 

"I'm looking to hire you to help me find someone."

"Well actually we're closed for the day, Mister..?"

"Bernard, Michael Bernard."

"Nice to meet you Mike," Shawn reached out his hand and Bernard shook it.

"Would you be available tomorrow?"

"Sure, how's noon?"

"Actually, later might be better for me.  Could we meet around three?"

"Sure."

"Do you work alone, Mr. Spencer?"

"Please, it's Shawn.  Mr. Spencer is my dad.  No, my business partner Gus took off a little earlier today."

"Well, it was nice to meet you Shawn.  I look forward to our meeting tomorrow."

"Nice to meet you too.  See you then."  As the man walked away, Shawn walked toward his bike and put on his helmet.

In his car, Mike Bernard pulled out a binder and opened it up.  The top page was a newspaper clipping of Gus and Shawn solving the Doreen Harthan murder.  "Yes Mr. Spencer, I look forward to our little meeting tomorrow."

            Meanwhile, Henry had been watching the same broadcast at his place.  He was sitting in his kitchen and looked up from the new cooking magazine he just received in the mail.  A small shiver ran down his spine.  "A little too close to Shawn's age," he thought.  Then suddenly dawned on him, Gregory Hastings was the son of a fellow retired officer, Jim Hastings.  He'd just seen Jim two weeks ago at Jim's former partner, Frank Gibbon's place, for a poker game.  Jim was bragging about how Greg opened his own car repair business.  He picked up the phone to call Jim.

"Hello, Hastings residence," the voice that answered said.

"Hi.  My name is Henry Spencer.  I'm a friend of Jim's.  Can I speak to him?"

"Just a minute.  Dad, phone's for you.  Henry something."  A few minutes past and a tired voice came on the line.

"Henry?"

"Jim, its Henry Spencer.  Just heard about your son.  I'm so sorry."

"Thanks Henry.  It's just so unexpected.  I don't understand what's happening."

"What do you mean, Jim?"

"Well, first Frank's boy, John goes missing and now Greg is dead.  It doesn't make sense."

Henry turned and watched Shawn enter the house.  He waved and Shawn nodded.  Shawn placed his helmet down and sat in front of the TV. 

"Jim do you think there's a connection," Henry asked.

Shawn turned and looked at him with his eyebrows raised in question.  Henry glared at him as if to say, "This is none of your business kid."  Shawn turned back.

"Henry this sounds crazy, but did you know Mike Bernard was just released from prison?"  Henry felt his stomach flip as he looked toward Shawn.

TBC



Enter the security code shown below: