- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting on Psychfic. I originally posted this on FanFiction and I’ve been experiencing MAJOR writer’s block while coming up with the sequel. I thought going back and editing this story would help with it. Hope you all enjoy this updated version of This Was Never Part of the Plan!
DISCLAIMER: I do not own Psych or any of the characters. They all belong to USA and the very tall man who gave birth to psych, Steve Franks.
Henry’s words rang through Shawn’s head. 'I will break that cycle. No doubt of it,' he thought to himself as he made his way back to his beautiful girlfriend with a drink in his hand. When he reached her he saw that she had a confused look on her face, but that didn't register in his head. To him, everything was fine.
“Where’s yours,” Juliet asked as he handed her the drink. She sat it down on the table almost instantly and laced her fingers in front of her as she tried to hid her shakiness.
“I had a shot over at the bar,” he said slowly, pointing in the direction he had come from. He saw Juliet fidgeting with her hands. She sounded nervous. Why was she so nervous?
“Shawn,” Juliet said with a shaking voice. She tried to hide it, but she ended up only anxiously tucking her hair behind her ear. “I need to ask you something. And I’m sure that this is just me… overthinking things, but…uhm.” She rambled on trying to find the best way to word her questions to Shawn. She wasn’t as good with words as he was and that was embarrassing sometimes. “Yesterday, you were at the hotel. You saw the hallways you know the layout-”
“Guilty as charged.”
“Well, you said that you had this… spectacular vision that Marlow was covered in garbage. But couldn’t you have just remembered that there was a trash shoot on every floor and then just taken a guess?”
Shawn was kind of shocked that she was saying all of this. He knew right where this conversation was heading. He felt like he was going to be sick. “Uh, yah, I suppose so, but that would have been a pretty wild guess, don’t ya think?” He gave a small laugh and tried to pull of his famous grin but failed miserably.
“Absolutely” Juliet let out a small sigh and shoved her hands into her pockets. Maybe she was just overthinking all of this. Maybe she just had a little too much to drink. But the feeling of the concert ticket was all too real. It was the only thing keeping her in reality. “And, you know, I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought but then…there was this.” Jules pulled out the Michael Damien concert ticket and handed it to him. Shawn felt his stomach drop. Their conversation wasn’t even half way started, but he knew he couldn’t talk himself out of this one. “And I’m sure that there is an explanation-there always is- but you know me, I won’t be able to stop thinking it and I certainly won’t be able to rest until we clear it up.”
For the first time in his life, Shawn Spencer was speechless. He looked up from the ticket and just starred at his girlfriend as she waited for him to say something. Her face got angrier as she saw he showed no emotion. 'After six years I finally make a mistake. A mistake this stupid' Shawn screamed at himself in his head. 'Scratch that, these past six year have been a mistake. This stupid, stupid lie was a HUGE mistake.'
“Lassiter said that you had a vision of Herb with Michael Damien; but you had this receipt so you knew Herb would be there, right?”
Shawn looked around like a sly, witty answer that would save him would be written on the walls, but there was nothing. For once, Shawn Spencer was speechless. Dumbfounded. He looked around and saw Lassie dancing with his bride. The man he thought was near to being heartless had found love. His best friend seemed to be having the time of his life talking to his girlfriend on the phone. Gus seemed to be reviled that he had nothing to worry about. All his worries where long forgotten and in the past. He took one last look at the wall praying that the answer would have decided to join them, but it didn’t. Instead he seemed to replay their past together. He saw the moment when he first met her. They were both so much younger. His lips tingled as he remembered their first kiss. All the memories hit him like a brick ball.
Shawn’s sad eyes met Jules’ infuriated ones. It brought him back to the present. Back to their own world as everybody else’s flew by them in a whirl. “Shawn! Are you listening to me?!” Juliet was close to hysterics. Shawn bit his lips together. He was reluctant to say anything, but then his words fell out without warning. Without thought.
“Falling in love with you was never part of the plan, okay? This whole thing started because my ass was on the line. Self-preservation, Jules, you got to understand that! I didn’t have a choice. And then we sort of found a grove. And by the time you showed up, it was so much fun! We put away almost over a hundred criminals: most of them were even murders. I’m good at what I do, and what I do… is good. Isn’t it? Isn’t it?”
His words stung her. She felt her composure start to break as tears built up in her eyes. 'Falling in love with you was never part of the plan.' Those words weren’t going anywhere anytime soon. “What. Are. You. Talking about?” Again, she waited for a response but he said nothing. “Are you telling me this all a lie?!” Her question sent daggers through both of their hearts.
“Please don’t make me answer that,” he said close to a whisper. This couldn’t be happening. He bit the inside of his cheek and prayed it was a dream. He really needed to stop praying like that. It never did get him anywhere.
Finally her tears spilled over as she looked to the floor. “Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I feel so stupid,” Juliet whispered between breathes.
“No,” Shawn said. He felt like an idiot. He hated himself as he looked at the woman he loved more than anything and knew she was breaking because of his lies. “No, sweetheart, this is all me.” He took a step forward and reached out to her, but before he got anywhere Juliet reached for her glass and threw her drink on his face. Shawn’s eyes stung as he watched her run out of the reception hall.
“Shawn? Is everything okay,” Gus asked as he slowly approached his best friend. He had seen everything from the balcony.
“No man. I really messed this up,” he said as he sat down in the chair right next to the one that Juliet was eating cake at. Shawn smacked the empty Champaign glass off the table as anger ran through his veins. His anger quickly faded into despair the small ring in his pants pocket made itself known again. It suddenly felt 100 times heavier than what it really was. “What am I going to do?”

Chapter End Notes:
I’m going to make chapters a LOT longer than last time, so this will be the shortest chapter (hopefully). Leave me a review, or comment, or whatever you do here! Thanks for reading!


Enter the security code shown below: