- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
And here we go! The latest episode of my Stranger than Fiction series begins!

As always, I do not have any claim to the amazing characters of Psych but I like sprinkle in my own people to play in their sandbox.

If you don't know what's going on, you'll probably want to go back and start the series from the beginning.

Enjoy!!

The mellow sounds of big band music rose above the steady din of voices, shuffling footsteps and the clink of plates and glasses. The mass of people consisted of the highest officials of Santa Barbara: council members, the heads of various agencies, and even a few celebrities. Waiters in tuxedos moved swiftly through the crowd with silver trays bearing hors d'oeuvres and glasses of champagne.

In the middle of the crowd, Shawn Spencer looked up at the high ceiling of the grand ballroom at City Hall. He smiled at the cameras and waved until a sharp tug on his sleeve got his attention. "Shawn, stop that!" He looked into the brilliant blue eyes of detective Juliet O'Hara and gave her his most charming smile. As much as she hated to admit it, that look always worked on her and she found herself smiling back.

"Jules, come on. It's not often we get to hob-nob with the elite." He adjusted the tuxedo jacket and straightened his black bow tie before slipping an arm around his fiance's waist. Her hair was pulled up into a twist and curling wisps of blonde trailed down over her temples. His fingers grazed over the shimmering blue silk of her dress and then trailed upward to slide over the bare skin of her back as he leaned close to whisper in her ear. "You look amazing tonight. I think you should do 'plain clothes' assignments more often."

Juliet shivered, both at his words and his touch. She gave him a playful shove and whispered back. "Behave yourself, Spencer. Don't make me regret making you my 'plus one' for this event."

"Oh come on, it was practically the Chief’s idea to bring me along. Besides, Lassie got to bring a date too." He grinned and motioned toward a couple dancing together near the stage. The lanky detective looked good in his tux but the lady with him definitely drew attention. Dressed in a beautiful red silk dress, Marlowe was practically glowing with happiness. Since her release from prison two weeks ago, she and Carlton had spent practically every free moment together. Juliet had never seen her partner so happy or pleasant to be around. It was almost eerie, but she was thrilled for him. Smiling to herself, she nestled into the arms of her date. Shawn rubbed his cheek over her silky hair before pressing a kiss on her head.

"Detective O'Hara, I believe you're supposed to be watching for any trouble." She and Shawn both jumped at the harsh words. They turned around to see Chief Vick giving them a force smiled. She was dressed in a sleek black dress that showed off her figure nicely without looking unprofessional.

"Yes, Chief!" Juliet said, standing up straight and smoothing some non-existent wrinkles from her dress.

"We're on it, Chief. The mayor arrived at 5:34. She's had two drinks so far, both some sort of daiquiri but without the umbrella. She's been to the restroom once and she's talked to almost everyone here with the exception of myself and my ravishing date." He leaned in closer and said in a low voice, "Seriously, isn't she beautiful?"

Karen fought to keep a straight face and replied, "Yes, of course. Detective, you do look lovely, but please? The safety of the guests is our first priority." She jumped back suddenly as two squealing girls in flowery dresses ran by her, almost making her spill her glass of water. Watching the girls disappear into the crowd, she sighed softly.

"Missing Iris, are you? She's at home with her dad?"

Shawn's voice brought her quickly back to the present. She nodded before adding, "It will be a few years before I can take her to events like this."

"She's a great kid. If you ever need a sitter, just let us know."

Juliet looked at Shawn with a shocked expression, but she recovered quickly and nodded to her boss. "Of course, Chief. We'd be happy to watch her."

Karen smiled warmly at the young couple. She glanced down at the ring on Juliet's finger and wondered how soon it would be before one of her brightest employees would be needing time off for things like honeymoons and maternity leave. "I'll keep that in mind when I can schedule a real date night. Now, if you'll excuse me, I better go talk to my head detective and convince him to pay a little more attention."

Shawn winked and said playfully, "Good luck on that one, Chief. With the exception of my date and you, he's with the hottest lady here." She smiled and walked away without a word. Juliet nudged him in the ribs before taking his arm to lead him back toward the bar.

After finishing their drinks, (non-alcoholic, of course) Juliet pulled Shawn toward the dance floor. The band was playing a slow song from the big band era, Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman - Shawn always got them confused. He pulled Juliet close and swayed with her, guiding them deftly through the crowd. After a few minutes, she was so comfortable in his arms that she rested her head on his shoulder, but she jerked upright again when she heard his voice. "Mister and Missus Lassipotamus. How are you both this evening?" She looked to her right to see her partner and his date.

"Spencer, not even you could ruin this occasion." Lassiter responded through a forced smile. He tightened his arm around Marlowe's waist and gave her a squeeze. She immediately sighed and pressed herself tightly against him with a soft sigh.

Marlowe's tone was much more pleasant. "We're having a wonderful time, Shawn. Thanks for asking. Juliet, you look stunning."

The two ladies shared a genuine smile before Juliet answered. "Thank you Marlowe. You look beautiful too. I'm so glad that you were able to come tonight."

"Me too! The dances in prison were never this nice and the company was even less-so..."

Juliet looked uncomfortable at the reminder of where her partner's girlfriend had been for the last seven months, but Marlowe's wide smile and shining eyes were infectious. Juliet could see how much these two were in love and it warmed her heart. Without another word, the two couples spun away from each other.

As Juliet and Shawn continued to dance, she scanned the crowd for anything out of place. She saw Shawn doing the same with a familiar intense look in his eyes. Juliet leaned in closer and whispered, "What is it? That's your 'I found a clue' face."

Shawn shook his head and grinned at her. "You know me so well..." His eyes raked over the crowded room and then turned up to the ceiling. He suddenly looked alarmed and spoke earnestly to Juliet. "Seal off the exits! Right now!"

"What is it?" Juliet reached into her purse and pulled out a radio, but Shawn was already rapidly moving away through the crowd. A sinking feeling settled in her chest when she saw that he was stopped next to a little girl on the opposite edge of the room. She was in tears and Juliet realized that she recognized her: Councilman Francisco's daughter. Only a few minutes before, she had been playing with the Mayor's daughter, who was nowhere to be seen.

Shifting into her most authoritative voice, she spoke into her radio. "All units, this is Detective O'Hara. Seal the exits. We've got a possible 207. Don't let anyone leave the building."

Lassiter rushed up to Juliet with Marlowe trailing behind him, looking confused and worried. His eyes hard and determined. "What's going on O'Hara? A kidnapping? Who's missing?"

"I think it's the Mayor's daughter."

Chapter End Notes:
A little short and there's no flashback in this episode, but the next chapter will be up soon.

Leave me some reviews and let me know what you think!


Enter the security code shown below: