- Text Size +

Mia introduced a wonderful idea on the forums. Why not add a commentary to various fics, much like a DVD bonus feature of an episode. (I love the idea, btw.) So I figured, why not start it off with the fic I wrote for her?

I may be a little stiff at this at first, so just bear with me. You can always go back to the main menu if you hate my prattling. Here we go …

Gus looked up as the door to Psych flew open.

In one of the Psych Chats, Mia told me to write this fic. Being the adorable, loving person that I am, I agreed. *ignores Mia’s raised eyebrow*

“Oh, Guuuus!” Shawn sang, dancing in. He plopped a drink carrier with two smoothies in it on his friend’s desk. “Do I have a surprise for you or what!”

You know, when Shawn declares he has a surprise, I’d duck for cover. I suppose Gus can’t spend his life in hiding, so he has to deal with it.

“I’m afraid to have that question answered,” Gus replied, taking one of the cups. “What did you do this time? Buy a smoothie machine for the office?”

Smart answer, Gus.
This part cracked me up, imagining Gus’ mind spinning through a zillion reasons of what his friend’s surprise could be. None of which are probably all that inviting.

“No,” Shawn paused. “But that is a good idea. However,” he took the other cup and stuck a straw through the lid, “I have something even better.”

Gus eyed his friend with more than a little trepidation. “Well, spit it out already.”

His mouth full of smoothie, Shawn cocked his head. He swallowed, then continued, “I’m going to say you weren’t serious.”

I didn’t even think of this little quip until I reread the fic, and then I went, “Hey, he just took a drink. That could be interpreted another way.” So I had to stick it in, as it made me laugh when I thought it.

Sighing in frustration, Gus shook his head. “Fine. I just won’t listen to your idea.”

“No, no, Gus! It’s great. You’ll love it.”

For some reason, I don’t think this is as much of an assurance as Gus would have liked. More the opposite.

“What?”

“I found,” Shawn paused dramatically, “a girl.”

“You found a girl?”

“Yep.” Shawn nodded excitedly.

I almost wasn’t sure how to have Shawn tell Gus his idea, and I didn’t like this exchange at first. I still had some uneasiness about it when I sent it to Mia to beta. But I figured she’d come smack me with a foam hammer if it was too ridiculous.

“Congratulations. How will you break it to Jules?”

“Not for me, silly. For you!”

Gus nearly choked on his drink. “What?”

*pats Gus on the back* Breathe, buddy, breathe. It’s okay. Really. I’m not THAT mean of an author … Granted, I whump people, but you’ll be fine. Mia insisted that your date not be a psycho.

“Yeah.” Shawn sat back proudly. “Her name is Grace, and she’d be awesome for you!”

“Right. I’ve seen your idea of a date for me before.”

“Aw, come on, dude.”

“It took me months of therapy to get over that, Shawn!” Gus sounded indignant.

I wonder if that therapist needs therapy himself now that they’ve finished their sessions? He should be thankful he never had Shawn for a patient.

“Yeah, whatever,” Shawn waved it off. “The point is, Gus, you need to break out of your comfort zone. You know, you keep going out with the girls who turn out to be psychotic. Try a normal one for once.”

“And you’re such an expert on normal?”

He seems pretty normal to me. Well, that, and he’s cute. That helps his cause, right?

“Yes, Gus. My middle name is normal.”

“No, actually, that would be –”

I really had no idea what Shawn’s middle name was. I still can’t remember … I’m sure I read it somewhere. So I decided to interrupt him before he told it, because I can’t have the wrong name in there, and I was too lazy to go find it out.

Shawn put down his cup. “Will you stop distracting me? It’s too late to skip out on the date anyhow.”

“Why?” Gus’s eyes went wide. “You set up a date for us, didn’t you?”

Shawn, Shawn, Shawn. Why must you terrify your best friend this way? Poor Gus. I suppose you must, or I wouldn’t have a fic.

“Well … maybe.”

“Maybe?” Gus shouted.

“Well, I knew you weren’t busy tonight –”

“Tonight?”

“Yes, tonight. Will you stop repeating everything I say?”

That last line was a total spur of the moment type of deal. I was just going to continue their little argument but thought that Shawn would be the type to point out that Gus was repeating his words.

Gus sighed. “Shawn. You set up a date for me without my permission on such short notice?”

“She wasn’t busy.” Shawn shrugged. “Why not?”

“Why not? I might be busy, that’s why not.”

I wonder if Shawn ever thought this through before he set up the date? If he did, he’s covering it pretty well.
What? Don’t look at me like that. I’m just the author. *snorts* As if I have a say in what happens.
What’s that? I do? Oh. Um …

“Oh, Gus. You’re not busy. You told me you were free for a movie tonight.”

Oh dear. Now you can’t back out, bud. You DID say that, you know. Shawn has a good memory.

“With you! Not with some girl I don’t even know!” Gus was getting the feeling he was losing the argument.

Good point. I can just see Gus pointing out the fallacy in Shawn’s reasoning. But yeah … I think Gus might be on the losing side of this. Shawn usually wins him over to do whatever eventually.

“Well … I had something come up. You were already planning to go; just take Grace instead of me.”

You know, that sounds a little creepy now that I read over it. It’s almost like Gus asked Shawn out on a date … Eek! What have I done? *hides*

“Fine,” Gus sighed. “You have her number?”

“Of course! And don’t worry. I told her all about you.”

“That’s what I’m worried about.”

I’d be worried, too.

“Aw, don’t be like that, dude. All I told her was my wonderful assistant needed a date for tonight, and I was getting vibes that she’d be perfect for you.”

I wonder what Grace thought of all this, getting set up for a blind date with a vibe-y dude’s assistant. I would be more than a little creeped out.

“Wait. You told her I was your assistant?”

“Yep.” Shawn ducked the drink carrier Gus sent his way. “What? You are!”

Oh why couldn’t he have ducked too slowly?
Right. It’s a fic about Gus and his date, not Shawn whump.
Bummer.

Gus crossed his arms. “I’m your partner, Shawn! What’s she going to think of me now?” 

Probably better than I expect she thinks of people who ask her out on a date with their assistants – oh, I mean, partners.

 

“Well, I did tell her you were great. A cute girl like that deserves someone nice.”

 

“But, still, you shouldn’t – Wait. She’s cute?”

 

When Shawn nodded, he sighed. “I suppose I could go …”

 

I needed a way to get Gus to agree to go. After all, if he cancels on her, he won’t ever find out she’s not psycho.

 

“Of course you could. I told you you’d like her. What else do you want?”

 

“Yeah, well, don’t count on it yet. We’ll just see how tonight goes.”

 

Shawn slurped on his straw, the glint in his eyes unmistakable. “Yep, we will.”

 

Hee! That we will. I’ve got a continuation in the works already, though not in this same story. It'll appear ... eventually.



Enter the security code shown below: