Go Back   Psychfic.com Community > The Psych Ward > Psychfic

Old 04-17-2010
Founder of S.W.A.T.

Location: what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
dragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boys
Arrow WHUMP RESEARCH LINKS ETC.

Research material, whether for a single chartered story or a massive novella, is something every fic can benefit from. You can truly tell where an author has put time into fact checking and where they've made assumptions and hoped for the best. Not to say great stories can't be written on faith alone - but how much better are they when hard work is also included? Not only that, but I've often been very inspired by the information I've found - leading to story directions I wouldn't have initially considered.

So, all that being said, I have several links I've made use of in the past for bettering ficcage.

If you have any links to share, please do so!

1. How To Survive a Gun Shot Wound:
http://danger.mongabay.com/gunshot_wound.htm#secure

2. All About Traumatic Brain Injury:
http://www.allabouttbi.com/

3. Pulmonary Aspiration (inhaling foreign material into lungs)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_aspiration

4. (Syd gave me this one) Man In Coma Heard Everything:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34109227...ews/?gt1=43001

And, of course, should any of these be inspiring, there IS still a WHUMPATHON taking place that is in dire need of entries! XD

Old 05-02-2010

Silence will become famous soon enoughSilence will become famous soon enough
Default some books

I'd also suggest Murder and Mayhem by D.P. Lyle. He has a new(er) one, Forensics and Fiction, which I don't have yet but which I would bet is as good or better. I don't know they guy personally, but his stuff has helped me/is currently helping me, and he is a fantastic resource for writers.
Old 05-02-2010
A reference, not a definition

DinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DinerGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence View Post
I'd also suggest Murder and Mayhem by D.P. Lyle. He has a new(er) one, Forensics and Fiction, which I don't have yet but which I would bet is as good or better. I don't know they guy personally, but his stuff has helped me/is currently helping me, and he is a fantastic resource for writers.
Forensics and Fiction is a great resource. I hadn't gotten around to finding the first at the library, but I can def say that F&F is awesomely useful!
Old 05-02-2010
"I'm stupid good."

Kirei is just really niceKirei is just really niceKirei is just really niceKirei is just really niceKirei is just really nice

Quote:
I got Forensics and Fiction recently. Very interesting read, especially seeing what weird scenarios different writers can come up with. Like 'what type of injury could cause temprary paralysis after which the victim would be normal?' or 'is there a drug that would cause amnesia?' There's also a lot of stuff I find useful for writing mysteries in general, info about how bodies decompose and fingerprints and, gosh, just all sorts of weird questions that mystery writers have get answered in this thing. It's fascinating.
Old 05-02-2010
Onwards, Aoshima!

Sky Ship1 is a jewel in the roughSky Ship1 is a jewel in the roughSky Ship1 is a jewel in the roughSky Ship1 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Sky Ship1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirei View Post
I got Forensics and Fiction recently. Very interesting read, especially seeing what weird scenarios different writers can come up with. Like 'what type of injury could cause temprary paralysis after which the victim would be normal?' or 'is there a drug that would cause amnesia?' There's also a lot of stuff I find useful for writing mysteries in general, info about how bodies decompose and fingerprints and, gosh, just all sorts of weird questions that mystery writers have get answered in this thing. It's fascinating.
Note to self. Go to Borders. Soon.

I really should get that, especially since I don't want to be pulling this stuff out of thin air. Most of the time I could probably ask my dad about things. (He's been everything from an ambulance worker to a hospital director) but he'd get too... in depth and tell me fifty different things that I DON'T need in order to get to the one that I do. So these links are useful.

Every day the world begins again
Sunny skies or rain
Come and follow me
Old 05-03-2010
Is it real, this infusion?

silverluna is a splendid one to beholdsilverluna is a splendid one to beholdsilverluna is a splendid one to beholdsilverluna is a splendid one to beholdsilverluna is a splendid one to beholdsilverluna is a splendid one to beholdsilverluna is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to silverluna Send a message via MSN to silverluna

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! *adds to Amazon wishlist*

Not sure how this one is, but the description sounds worthwhile:

Howdunit Book of Police Procedure and Investigation: A Guide for Writers
by Lee Lofland

Banner and Icon by me

Old 05-03-2010

Silence will become famous soon enoughSilence will become famous soon enough

I have two howdunit books, and I woulod like to get more. The two I have are the poisons one (awesome, and one of these days I will write a poison fic to prove it), and the guide to wounds and injuries, which was less awesome because I think it was written by someone who seemed to think that his audience would want to write medical dramas, which maybe they do, but I think that it would not be anywhere near a good enough resource to really write a medical drama, and as a guide for people writing a non-medical drama in which people get hurt, he is too focused on anatomy and hospital treatment, while still not being specific enough that I would feel I could write dialogue for that treatment. It has a handy list of ten survivable but scary chest wounds, for example, which would be great if you really wanted to whump someone, but then it doesnt describe really what they would look or feel like, just how you would diagnose them. Which sounds like the same thing but isn't: you wouldn't write, (and I am not at home and don't have this book handy, so this is a HIGHLY paraphrased example)

Shawn shook his head, dazed from the impact. "Are you okay?" asked the other driver.

Shawn started to say yes, but the change in the electrical rhythms of his heart, along with his rising blood pressure, quickly overruled him.

It reminds me of those first aid pamphlets that, for everything but a splinter, just tell you to seek immediate medical attention or call 911. I mean, of COURSE I would call 911 if somone had a heart attack or was gushing blood or whatever. But what if they fell off a cliff in the middle of nowhere, and there were no roads and no cell service? It could happen; I met someone whose fiance almost died because he fell off a cliff right after proposing and broke his arm in three places, and she couldn't get cell service without hiking a mile or two- so what then, first aid pamphlet? WHAT THEN? What if there was a cave-in, and I were stuck in cave with an injured person? Wouldn't it be nice if my first aid training included some actual first aid information?

Anyway, to get back on track, the howdunit series, based on my sample of two, is a but hit or miss, but amazon has given good reviews to a bunch of the other ones, so they are on my wishlist, and probably make good references.
Old 05-04-2010
"I'm stupid good."

Kirei is just really niceKirei is just really niceKirei is just really niceKirei is just really niceKirei is just really nice

I found an on-line copy of Murder and Mayhem. There are missing pages, obviously, because they want you to buy the book, but there are lots of not-missing pages too. ^_^

http://books.google.com/books?id=5ZX...stions&f=false
Old 05-04-2010
The killer who lives next door to you.

Starphyer is a splendid one to beholdStarphyer is a splendid one to beholdStarphyer is a splendid one to beholdStarphyer is a splendid one to beholdStarphyer is a splendid one to beholdStarphyer is a splendid one to beholdStarphyer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirei View Post
I found an on-line copy of Murder and Mayhem. There are missing pages, obviously, because they want you to buy the book, but there are lots of not-missing pages too. ^_^

http://books.google.com/books?id=5ZX...stions&f=false
The little gerbil in my head is running like mad....

I am getting ideas just from reading the table of contents!!

Oh my god! o_o I never knew stuff like this existed! I always find it so impossible to find proper information when asking people who know stuff. They always look at you awkwardly like, "Who are you planning to kill?"

I always find the "I'm a writer!" excuse works to some extent. But this is amazing. I love you. <3

Hey, young blood. Doesn't it feel like our time is running out?
Old 07-29-2010
Your Mom

MusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant futureMusicalLuna has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to MusicalLuna Send a message via MSN to MusicalLuna Send a message via Yahoo to MusicalLuna

This is a rad resource if you're curious what happens once our victim(s) wind up in the hospital.

http://www.primary-surgery.org/start.html