Go Back   Psychfic.com Community > The Psych Ward > Psychfic

Old 1 Week Ago
Secret Assassin; Not-So-Secret Fangirl

insert56 will become famous soon enoughinsert56 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to insert56
Default [Request] Someone to help me make a description for a new story.

So, I'm working on this one or two chapter story (depends on how I decided to release it).

It's not really like anything I've wrote before, because it's uber dark. It's a post-season fic with Shawn, Juliet, and their child.

Anyway, I've never been great at creating interesting descriptions. For this story I want something that's going to really drawl the reader in without revealing anything major or sounding too cheesy (like, "guess what happens" or "what will happen when" type of descriptions). I mean the main event in the story could be teased or reference, but no dead giveaways.

I should be done with a story in a couple days, no later than a few. I wanted to see if there was any kickers beforehand though. I could message anyone who wouldn't mind helping the story so they could read it first to get a better sense of the story (or, well.. more than just a sense I suppose).

I would really appreciate anyone willing to help me out.
Old 1 Week Ago
Queen of the Leprechauns

PineappleHead will become famous soon enoughPineappleHead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by insert56 View Post
So, I'm working on this one or two chapter story (depends on how I decided to release it).

It's not really like anything I've wrote before, because it's uber dark. It's a post-season fic with Shawn, Juliet, and their child.

Anyway, I've never been great at creating interesting descriptions. For this story I want something that's going to really drawl the reader in without revealing anything major or sounding too cheesy (like, "guess what happens" or "what will happen when" type of descriptions). I mean the main event in the story could be teased or reference, but no dead giveaways.

I should be done with a story in a couple days, no later than a few. I wanted to see if there was any kickers beforehand though. I could message anyone who wouldn't mind helping the story so they could read it first to get a better sense of the story (or, well.. more than just a sense I suppose).

I would really appreciate anyone willing to help me out.
Sure, I'll be happy to help you brainstorm some ideas. If you need me, just feel free to fire off a Psychfic message or an e-mail. I check both regularly.

Usually, when I'm stuck for a description, I'll offer one sentence as kind of a general overview of the story and offer up a quote or two from the body of the story to tease and draw interest. I also find it helpful to look at story summaries from other writers that I respect. BlkLunaDragon and Vindicata have some of the best ones, in my opinion.

Last edited by PineappleHead; 1 Week Ago at 04:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 1 Week Ago
A reference, not a definition

DinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant futureDinerGuy has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DinerGuy

When I'm stuck on summaries, I'll often find a few lines from the fic itself that stand out and would serve well if someone wanted a brief shot of what the story was. (And other times I just grab random lines. lol)

Besides that, here's a good rule of thumb that I've been trying to implement lately:

Imagine you are in an elevator with someone and they ask what your story is about. You have approximately 10-20 seconds to tell them before the door opens to their floor and they get off. How do you succinctly summarize your story in a way that will make them want to read it?

It's a great mental exercise, plus it'll help you think of how to attract readers scrolling through fic results (because if you don't catch their attention in the first line or so, they're not gonna click).

Last edited by DinerGuy; 1 Week Ago at 09:43 AM.