Old 09-03-2017
Time Lord Consort

aakira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to aakira
Default Domestic vs International Pilot Versions

When I watch the Pilot, I prefer the International version - it's about 10 minutes longer than the Domestic version. I'm trying to figure out exactly what parts are the difference between the two versions.

Was the Domestic made first and footage added to make the International or was the International version edited down to get the Domestic?
Old 09-03-2017
Founder of S.W.A.T.

Location: what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
dragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakira View Post
When I watch the Pilot, I prefer the International version - it's about 10 minutes longer than the Domestic version. I'm trying to figure out exactly what parts are the difference between the two versions.

Was the Domestic made first and footage added to make the International or was the International version edited down to get the Domestic?
I would guess it was edited down - seeing as how most episodes go over anyway thus all the cut scenes on the DVDs

Old 09-03-2017

harakiri has a spectacular aura aboutharakiri has a spectacular aura aboutharakiri has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonnan View Post
I would guess it was edited down - seeing as how most episodes go over anyway thus all the cut scenes on the DVDs
Yes, they talk about that in the audio commentary. The international version exists because they didn't know whether the pilot would be picked up for series, so it's basically a made for TV movie. And then after the premiere, they switched to showing the domestic version for the reruns (and started tacking on the psych-outs).

I haven't watched the domestic version since the very first time I saw it a decade ago, but I believe some scenes with Lucinda were cut (since they switched her out for Jules anyway), and I believe something about the scene at the lake was trimmed down for time. The scenes at the McCallum's house were shorter too, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-21-2017

JKELLY01 is on a distinguished road

Just before they took Psych off of Netflix they were airing the longer version of the first show. Several of the scenes that were cut talked about the many jobs that Shawn had when he was on the road. He had been to Costa Rica and worked as a river raft guide. He had been a scuba diver trainer. He had also set up something in a movie, but I could never clearly understand what he said about it. The scene where he was laying out the money in the gym bag showed him pulling out a roll of $100.00 bills after Gus says where’s your money moneybags? My favorite one was when Gus scolded him for doing his route and doing a better job of it than he did. The scene where he tried to make up with Katarina was different too. It was much longer and she nearly ran over his foot as she drove away.

Some of the scenes where it was expressed what a true genus Shawn is were cut also. They cut the part where Lucinda said that Shawn should be running IBM and that he was supposed to be Valedictorian at his high school graduation, but did not show up. They cut scenes showing the amount of actual research Shawn did on the McCallum family.

One scene that was cut was when Gus drove off after the first time they were at the McCallum house. Shawn walks around to the back of the house and tries to get in the house through a basement door. An alarm goes off and all the police are surrounding him as he walks back out the door. Of course Lassie is there with his gun drawn. I was glad that they cut that scene because it was not a very good piece.

It was always my understanding that the pilot was to be an hour and a half show. When they started the reruns they edited so that it would last only an hour like the rest of the episodes. They did show the longer version on either USA Network or ION once during a holiday marathon. I am saying once because that was the only time I saw it, there may have been more times.

I have bought a few of the shows on Amazon Prime. They do have a couple of thing from the first episode still included, but most of it is cut down to what we were seeing on ION TV. They may have the whole hour and a half show on disk, my sister owns that package, I will ask her about it the next time I call her.

The one thing I have never heard was, when did they refer to Lassie’s partner as Lucinda. I would be very happy for someone to point that out for me.

GirlFromBlackMountain
Old 09-21-2017
Founder of S.W.A.T.

Location: what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
dragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKELLY01 View Post
Just before they took Psych off of Netflix they were airing the longer version of the first show. Several of the scenes that were cut talked about the many jobs that Shawn had when he was on the road. He had been to Costa Rica and worked as a river raft guide. He had been a scuba diver trainer. He had also set up something in a movie, but I could never clearly understand what he said about it. The scene where he was laying out the money in the gym bag showed him pulling out a roll of $100.00 bills after Gus says where’s your money moneybags? My favorite one was when Gus scolded him for doing his route and doing a better job of it than he did. The scene where he tried to make up with Katarina was different too. It was much longer and she nearly ran over his foot as she drove away.

Some of the scenes where it was expressed what a true genus Shawn is were cut also. They cut the part where Lucinda said that Shawn should be running IBM and that he was supposed to be Valedictorian at his high school graduation, but did not show up. They cut scenes showing the amount of actual research Shawn did on the McCallum family.

One scene that was cut was when Gus drove off after the first time they were at the McCallum house. Shawn walks around to the back of the house and tries to get in the house through a basement door. An alarm goes off and all the police are surrounding him as he walks back out the door. Of course Lassie is there with his gun drawn. I was glad that they cut that scene because it was not a very good piece.

It was always my understanding that the pilot was to be an hour and a half show. When they started the reruns they edited so that it would last only an hour like the rest of the episodes. They did show the longer version on either USA Network or ION once during a holiday marathon. I am saying once because that was the only time I saw it, there may have been more times.

I have bought a few of the shows on Amazon Prime. They do have a couple of thing from the first episode still included, but most of it is cut down to what we were seeing on ION TV. They may have the whole hour and a half show on disk, my sister owns that package, I will ask her about it the next time I call her.

The one thing I have never heard was, when did they refer to Lassie’s partner as Lucinda. I would be very happy for someone to point that out for me.

GirlFromBlackMountain
Wow, that's way more than I've seen! Now I want to watch it! I don't know specifically where (or if) Lucinda is referred to by name in the Pilot - it may be that she only had that name in the credits. As it is, Lassiter is also unnamed in the Pilot (I believe?)

Old 09-22-2017
Queen of the Leprechauns

PineappleHead will become famous soon enoughPineappleHead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonnan View Post
Wow, that's way more than I've seen! Now I want to watch it! I don't know specifically where (or if) Lucinda is referred to by name in the Pilot - it may be that she only had that name in the credits. As it is, Lassiter is also unnamed in the Pilot (I believe?)
I'm pretty sure that at least Chief Vick refers to Lassiter by name, and I'm 100% certain that Shawn calls Lucinda "Detective Barry" at least once, but I don't remember if anyone ever calls her by her first name.

Now I want to rewatch the international version, too. I have the S1 DVD with the international pilot as a bonus feature, but I apparently forget that fact every time I put the disc in the DVD player, because I think I've only ever watched it once.

Old 09-22-2017

JKELLY01 is on a distinguished road

You may be able to find a disk of the first show at your library. I noticed that they do have a couple of seasons at my library.

I thought of another interesting thing that happened toward the end, just before he went to the Chief’s office to get his check, he ran into Officer Allen and talked to her again. Then he saw Lucinda and was really hitting on her. He said that he would like to get together with her to psychically read her (paraphrasing). She responded, “If you can read me you can figure out what I am thinking now.” (paraphrasing).

It was really spooky when I watched the longer version the first time. The first cut scene I saw was when Shawn was sitting on the bench next to the guy that was arrested for busting up a car. In that scene, after Shawn said that he had the same tattoo and they misspelled bloodthirsty on his, he also said that you would think that those guys would have some sort of spell check. I knew that I did not hear that before and I wondered what was happening to me. As the show progress I hear other lines that I had not heard before. It was not until the scene at the basement door did I realize that they were showing an uncut version.

I watched the show yesterday and the credits at the end only wrote the actors real names. However, if you look up the first season on the net they do list her as Lucinda. I bet that even in the longer version there were other scenes cut by editing that included her name, so we never heard her name mentioned.

GirlFromBlackMountain
Old 09-22-2017
Queen of the Leprechauns

PineappleHead will become famous soon enoughPineappleHead will become famous soon enough

In many ways, I wish that they had kept Lucinda instead of adding Juliet. I get that Juliet is a better foil for Lassie and that she was a better love interest for Shawn, but Lucinda is a much more interesting character in my opinion. She has a lot of tension with Shawn in both versions of the pilot, not to mention her interesting relationship with Lassiter. And also, I just think she's a stronger person than Juliet overall.

Old 09-23-2017

harakiri has a spectacular aura aboutharakiri has a spectacular aura aboutharakiri has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleHead View Post
In many ways, I wish that they had kept Lucinda instead of adding Juliet. I get that Juliet is a better foil for Lassie and that she was a better love interest for Shawn, but Lucinda is a much more interesting character in my opinion. She has a lot of tension with Shawn in both versions of the pilot, not to mention her interesting relationship with Lassiter. And also, I just think she's a stronger person than Juliet overall.
Hmm, to be honest I don't remember any significant interaction between Lucinda and Lassie except for the interrogation room and restaurant scenes...? And even in those they didn't really talk much... Which scenes are you thinking of?
Old 09-23-2017
Queen of the Leprechauns

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Hmm, to be honest I don't remember any significant interaction between Lucinda and Lassie except for the interrogation room and restaurant scenes...? And even in those they didn't really talk much... Which scenes are you thinking of?
Um, I was thinking of those two scenes. But also, on the USA Network's website, they have the interactive SBPD office (which is back online now!! ), and in the front drawer of Lassie's desk, you can find a note from Lucinda.

But yes, her interactions with Lassie are more implied than shown outright. To be honest, we probably learn more about the two of them from the later episodes where he mentions her than we do in the pilot.

But Shawn and Lucinda are money.