Old 02-16-2008
Sanity Is Overrated

Nyxelestia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Nyxelestia
Default Turning Point?

I generally have a theory about comedy shows:

They can only run with nothing but comedy for so long.

After a while, they have to start throwing in some serious stuff, and/or a story arch, to make things more interesting, and to add some tougher filling to the awesome fluff.

Do you think that the modeling eppi and the mummy eppi are part of this show's Turning Point?

Thoughts about this whole thing in general?

Come on, you know I didn't make this.
I couldn't reach this talent, even if I tried.
This is all psych_ologist's creation,
Let her awesomeness reach far and wide!
Old 02-16-2008
Not a stalker

Wiccat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wiccat Send a message via MSN to Wiccat

I believe you're right. The comedy was good enough to hook viewers and now that they've got regular followers, they're starting to dish out some more serious stuff to keep us hooked. I think it's about the right time. I'm just worried the plots they plan to dish out aren't lame. House MD went downhill after he second season, when plots came out and everyone started sleeping with each other... I had to stop watching, which sucked cause I really liked that show.

Made by Windscryer. I love you SO much.
Old 02-16-2008
Shawn's Psychic Princess

Location: Santa Barbara, California.....Yeah!!! In My Psych Fanfic!!!! LOL!!
PsychLover22 is on a distinguished road

I, too, agree with you about the comedy thing.

About the episode:

I thought it was really cool. My favorite scene was when Shawn was trying to escape the cameras, but Gus could still see him. I was laughing really hard!

I have to say, I'm a little upset that they brought the mother in. I think it's too soon. I have to admit, I was kind of expecting it. But, I still think it's too early. Of course, it all goes back to comidies havng some drama thing. I just wished that they had done something else. But, now that the mother is here, we'll have answers to our unanswered questions!

Loved the episode!

:tt2: :tt1: B) :wub:
Old 02-16-2008
Administrator

JessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud ofJessicaRae has much to be proud of

I agree, and I'm happy that it is turning that way. Otherwise, the show turns into a meaningless sitcom and not the dramedy it is labeled as. And I'm not too worried about them ruining the show with the added drama. They seem to be doing well so far, and doing it the right way by making it a slow transition. Bounty Hunter was the first episode, I think, that they began the tilt on the 'comedy vs drama' scales, sprinkling more drama into the mix. While they may have pushed it with the 'closing talking' scene, the idea of that scene was so original and awesome that it is forgivable. Since then they have wisely backed off of the Shules, though I think they may have backed off a bit too much.

At any rate, I think Mr. Franks and company will do the show right with the added drama. I'm not worried.

Old 02-16-2008
The One and Only...

TheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant futureTheOneBlueGecko has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to TheOneBlueGecko Send a message via MSN to TheOneBlueGecko Send a message via Skype™ to TheOneBlueGecko

I had a feeling the mom would be back when we actually "saw" her in the back flash. I agree that it seems like Psych has reached a bit of a turning point, but I am really excited about it. Thus far it really fits in the show and I think it will keep it fresh.

Hopefully the comedy will be able to continue at the same level now that there is more drama, but I am sure the writers will be able to do a fine job of this.
Old 02-16-2008
Proud Abby Fan

SydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud ofSydneyWoo has much to be proud of

I'm going to offer a slightly differing opinion. I think the show has balanced drama with comedy very well. I think what makes it appear to have reached a turning point is that (at least it seems to me) that there were several light hearted episodes towards the end of Season 2, that when they drifted back to drama it just seemed more intense.

I believe we actually saw quite a bit of drama in Season 1. Kelly Kulcek (sp?) commented during the pilot that she loves it when James gets serious because he turns it on so well. There was serious tension between Shawn and Henry in that ep. Same with Spelling Bee. Yes, that was an insanely fun episode with one of the best "visions" ever. But, we also saw some good angsty drama with the dog house. I love how they can switch back and forth so easily. When a heavy duty drama tries to do comedy, it can sometimes come off too much and then you can't believe them as a drama as easily. Same thing with sitcoms that are funny, funny, funny and then *boom*, you have serious issues that came out of nowhere. I find for me, since Psych set the standard for over the top, juvenile humor (which I adore) balanced with the tension in the Pilot episode, they can pull it off where other shows couldn't.

I'm also remembering that since the beginning of Season 2, we find a lot of instances where Shawn is rejected. 65 Million years off, for example......he gets his own intervention. In Psy vs Psy, Shawn and Gus are rejected for favor of the other Psychic. I found it odd that they seemed to have to prove themselves all over again. But still, I find Shawn at his most adorable when he's being ignored

Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear some other opinions too!
Old 02-16-2008
Professional Typoist

SomebodysBaby will become famous soon enoughSomebodysBaby will become famous soon enough

^I agree.

I personlly love this balance. One moment, I'm slapping my knee in uncontrollable laughter. The next, I'm on the edge of my seat trying to anticipate the drama. When shows are like this, I take something more meaningful out of it. I know it's not intended to be a deep, though-provoking show, but moments with joys and pains make the characters come alive to me. I love seeing their personal flaws brought out. Of course, nothing beats their comedy! These make the characters lovable. The transition between drama and comedy flows naturally to me. James (as well as the rest of the cast) does a bang up job switching these emotions. Those are just my dumb thoughts for the day.
Old 02-16-2008
Sanity Is Overrated

Nyxelestia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Nyxelestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiccat View Post
I believe you're right. The comedy was good enough to hook viewers and now that they've got regular followers, they're starting to dish out some more serious stuff to keep us hooked. I think it's about the right time. I'm just worried the plots they plan to dish out aren't lame. House MD went downhill after he second season, when plots came out and everyone started sleeping with each other... I had to stop watching, which sucked cause I really liked that show.
I know what you mean. I kinda see it like a cake: you start out with a lot of frosting (comedy) on top, and then after that you hit the cake (drama). You get some layers in the cake (seasons vaguely defined by the most common theme/emotion of the episodes in the season), and then, sadly, the bottom.

Gr, now I just made myself hungry. And I can't eat for another two hours! :cursing:

Anyway, yeah.

Also, about the House: yeah, first half of season 3 sucked, but around 'Finding Judas' and 'Merry Little Christmas', it started getting better. Season 4 has a little less angst and a little more comedy than the other ones, but either way, it's still really good. I can get why you'd avoid House, but serious recommendation: get back to it. Now it rules! :tt1:

Come on, you know I didn't make this.
I couldn't reach this talent, even if I tried.
This is all psych_ologist's creation,
Let her awesomeness reach far and wide!
Old 02-16-2008
Not a stalker

Wiccat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wiccat Send a message via MSN to Wiccat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxelestia View Post
Also, about the House: yeah, first half of season 3 sucked, but around 'Finding Judas' and 'Merry Little Christmas', it started getting better. Season 4 has a little less angst and a little more comedy than the other ones, but either way, it's still really good. I can get why you'd avoid House, but serious recommendation: get back to it. Now it rules! :tt1:
LoL, well, I suppose I'll check out a few episodes if I manage to catch them from now on XD I'm just SO not a fan of shows that end up like high school gossip forums on who's sleeping with who and who can't get along with who. But if they're finally over that stage, then maybe.

Made by Windscryer. I love you SO much.
Old 02-16-2008
Shawn's Psychic Princess

Location: Santa Barbara, California.....Yeah!!! In My Psych Fanfic!!!! LOL!!
PsychLover22 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad that they are getting into some dramatic stuff. It gives the show extra...flavor...zest...can't think of any other words right now, LOL!! :tt2:

I think that the writers of "Psych" are doing a fabulous job balancing the comedy and drama for the show. They have the comedy happening during the cases, but they have the drama on the sidelines (Like Shawn/Henry angst for example)

For this particular dramedy, I think that the drama shouldn't be overpowering. This show isn't the type of show that should have a lot of drama. I think that too much drama would ruin this show, because it would just turn into another crime drama, and we all know that there are enough of those out there! LOL! :tt2:

:wub: :tt1: :tt2: B)