Old 01-17-2011

Silverweave is on a distinguished road
Default PF Challenges on Twitter

Hello!

I hope I'm posting in the right place and that I'm not duplicating a question. I had a quick flick through the threads to check and I think I've got this right, but if I've made an error, please feel free taze me in the face.

Frivolous suggestion 1:
Would it be possible to have Bi-Weekly Challenge alerts on Twitter? Again, I'm aware that you don't want to duplicate content, so I was thinking a simple announcement and link to the relevant thread when a new challenge goes up and announcement of the winner. There could, perhaps, also be a deadline reminder a day before the challenge closes.

The reason I'm suggesting this is because I really enjoy taking part in the Bi-Weekly Challenges and reading everyone's submissions, but I am aware that the group of us who make up the regular participants are quite wee in number! It was lovely to have 11 of us entering this week, but looking at the readership stats, it seems that there are a lot more folk out there who read the fics than take part. Fair enough, not everyone on PF writes as well as reads, but nevertheless, Twittering might help boost the numbers a bit. As a newbie to PF, I've particularly found the Bi-Weekly Challenges a great way to engage with the PF Community and dip my toe in the water while I work on longer fics.

Frivolous suggestion 2: Any possibility of a comedy Lassiter tazed in the face smilie?

Thanks Mods!
Old 01-17-2011
A cape wearing fire extinguisher swallowing dragon

veggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to veggiewoppa Send a message via Yahoo to veggiewoppa

If we start doing it on Twitter, wouldn't we have to start doing it on all the other networking sites too? Facebook, LiveJournal, MySpace (does that still run?) Tumblr....*is not a netophile and can't think of any others* Not that it matters to me coz I wont be the one taking care of it

But I was just thinking of the people who don't use Twitter (I know it's shocking but there are a fair few of us out there )

We could end up with a lot links floating round the web in a lot of places.

Does that even matter? *shrugs* Might even lead to more new members signing up out of curiosity
Old 01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewoppa View Post
If we start doing it on Twitter, wouldn't we have to start doing it on all the other networking sites too? Facebook, LiveJournal, MySpace (does that still run?) Tumblr....*is not a netophile and can't think of any others* Not that it matters to me coz I wont be the one taking care of it

But I was just thinking of the people who don't use Twitter (I know it's shocking but there are a fair few of us out there )
Ironically, I'm not on Twitter either! But I do check in on the feed to see if there's anything going on with PF, which you can do as a non-subscriber. The main reason I suggested Twitter rather than any other social networking sites is that it's a fast bulletin board type system. It's not designed for chat and requires little if any formating. In, tweet, out. The other reason I suggested Twitter is that because it is a medium used quite a lot by the show itself, which has feeds for the writers' room, the network and a couple of in-character feeds, so there's a certain degree of engagment with Twitter for many users of Psychfic already.

When my work (a Uni) closed recently for snow, everyone was on the twitter feeds to see what the heck was going on! A different situation I know, but it utilised the same bulletin board principle.

But I know what you mean and really at the heart of the suggestion is trying to get more ficcers to join in with us, the last thing I'd want to do is create exclusion, a clique within geeks!
Old 01-17-2011
A cape wearing fire extinguisher swallowing dragon

veggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to veggiewoppa Send a message via Yahoo to veggiewoppa

Aaah.

As I have no clue whatsoever about twits (is that what twitter users are called?) or how their site works, I didn't know that

Makes good sense I guess
Old 01-17-2011
Admin

Jenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms startJenn1984 has reached the point where Psychisms start

We can tweet the challenges. I know mia was putting up the winners when it first started out. But we can announce when there's a new challenge going up, and when the voting goes up.

Is that what you meant?

(It might not be perfect...we sort of play it by ear a lot, especially if we get busy.)

And there's a Psych smiley thread here: http://www.psychfic.com/community/showthread.php?t=2495

Maja makes them and she sometimes takes requests. You can ask her if it's possible.

There's a degree of difficulty in dealing with me

Old 01-17-2011

88Keys is just really nice88Keys is just really nice88Keys is just really nice88Keys is just really nice88Keys is just really nice

Quote:
f we start doing it on Twitter, wouldn't we have to start doing it on all the other networking sites too? Facebook, LiveJournal, MySpace (does that still run?) Tumblr....
Not necessarily, since the announcements are also on this board. It's not like Twitter is the only way to hear about them. Those who don't use it will still see them on here.

My Blog- Trixie Belden and other YA books

"Child, you're forgiven and loved..."
Old 01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1984 View Post
We can tweet the challenges. I know mia was putting up the winners when it first started out. But we can announce when there's a new challenge going up, and when the voting goes up.

Is that what you meant?

(It might not be perfect...we sort of play it by ear a lot, especially if we get busy.)
Cool! That's exactly what I meant. And totally agree about playing it by ear, I know how much work you guys already do to keep Psychfic going, last thing you want is for it to be just a dragging list of chores.

Thanks for this and also for the smiley link, I shall pop over there. Thanks again!