Old 10-26-2009
Keeper of the Minions

mia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your fic - the writer's commentary

I just got this cleared with JR, so I figured it was time to see if anyone was interested.

The other day I was reading a Harry Potter fic, and once I was done I realized the writer had also done a "writer's commentary" of that same fic. Basically it was the same story, but with comments spattered throughout. And I thought, hey, we could do that on PF.

Now, what I'm thinking is this. Anyone can do it, no sign-up necessary. You post the story with the commentary on the archive, then post a link here on the forum to the story. JR will create a sub-board for this purpose.

One of the reasons I wanted us to do this (in addition to it being heaps of fun. I already did one and loved it to pieces), was so that we can learn from each other. Everyone works differently when they write something, and it's fun to see what people have to say about their own stuff. That's also why I wanted to be able to discuss it on the forum. The readers can ask questions, make comments and so on.

Now, are you guys in? Questions?
Old 10-26-2009
A cape wearing fire extinguisher swallowing dragon

veggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to veggiewoppa Send a message via Yahoo to veggiewoppa

That sounds pretty interesting.

I've never seen anything like that myself.

Would we add the commentary as another chapter or as a seperate story?

Ok, so I've only posted 3 things, and I think only one of them could have a commentary lol, but I'd like to read some. And I could always try to write one for my own stuff.

Hmm....

*heads off to dig out unedited version of fics*

Don't mind me guys, this could take a while
Old 10-26-2009
Keeper of the Minions

mia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond repute

Good question, Veggie. What I'm thinking is that you post it as a separate story. And the story would look something like this:

The One Where Mia Explains - by Mia

So, one day Mia had this idea. It was a good idea, she thought, and she wanted to share it with the rest of her friends at PF.

PF, for those of you who don't know, is short for Psychfic. This, right here, by the way, is my writer's commentary. See?

Mia's problem, however, was that she wasn't always as good at explaining things as she'd like to think. So Veggie asked a few pertinent questions, and Mia did her best to explain by making up a really silly story.

At this point in the story I started thinking, "Oh, man. They must all think I'm a dork." Which I am, I guess. But it answers the question, doesn't it?

And so on and so forth....

Hopefully that cleared up a few of your questions
Old 10-26-2009

veggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to beholdveggiewoppa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Good question, Veggie. What I'm thinking is that you post it as a separate story. And the story would look something like this:

The One Where Mia Explains - by Mia

So, one day Mia had this idea. It was a good idea, she thought, and she wanted to share it with the rest of her friends at PF.

PF, for those of you who don't know, is short for Psychfic. This, right here, by the way, is my writer's commentary. See?

Mia's problem, however, was that she wasn't always as good at explaining things as she'd like to think. So Veggie asked a few pertinent questions, and Mia did her best to explain by making up a really silly story.

At this point in the story I started thinking, "Oh, man. They must all think I'm a dork." Which I am, I guess. But it answers the question, doesn't it?

And so on and so forth....

Hopefully that cleared up a few of your questions
Awesome! I'd love to do that for the sick!shawn fic I did for Lozza.

I'd like to do it for my kidnapping fic too actually but that's three chapters long. Would multiple chapters be ok to do a commentary for? Or would it work better on one shot?

Or could multiple chapters be done as a summarised commentary instead of a retelling with comments included?

I'm sorry, I'll stop asking silly questions now
Old 10-26-2009
Keeper of the Minions

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewoppa View Post
Awesome! I'd love to do that for the sick!shawn fic I did for Lozza.

I'd like to do it for my kidnapping fic too actually but that's three chapters long. Would multiple chapters be ok to do a commentary for? Or would it work better on one shot?

Or could multiple chapters be done as a summarised commentary instead of a retelling with comments included?

I'm sorry, I'll stop asking silly questions now
No, ask away.

Well, since it's going to be posted as an individual story on the archive you can do whatever story you want, no matter how long it is. But maybe for the discussion ones, at least, we do one-shots? They're just easier to discuss.

But writer's commentary can be done for any story. I, for one, would like to do one for my dead Jules story once it's done. But yeah... I think I'll say we keep the ones we discuss here on the forum to the one-shots. =)
Old 10-26-2009

Ok, so my sick!Shawn could be discussed here, coz it's only one chapter but my kidnapped!Shawn fic would be a commentary coz it's three chapters.

Got it!

Except... can we post commentaries for one shots that are also being discussed?

(I'm done now I pwomise)
Old 10-26-2009
Keeper of the Minions

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewoppa View Post
Ok, so my sick!Shawn could be discussed here, coz it's only one chapter but my kidnapped!Shawn fic would be a commentary coz it's three chapters.

Got it!

Except... can we post commentaries for one shots that are also being discussed?

(I'm done now I pwomise)
Yes, that's the whole point. We do commentaries for one-shots, post them on the archive, then discuss them here on the forum =)
Old 10-26-2009
SHERLOAF HOLMES

patster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms start

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
At this point in the story I started thinking, "Oh, man. They must all think I'm a dork."
Yes, yes we do.

I'm in, as you already know. I've written one of these and they're actually a lot of fun.

Just a comment though: do you think we should post all the one-shots individulally? My thinking is that if someone had say five one-shots, and wanted to do a commentary for three of them, then they would have eight one-shots total. And for the people trying to find fic as opposed to the commentary it would be a little more difficult. So maybe with the one-shots we could do what Spork suggested over on the Secret Santa thread (which all of you should join *pimps*), and make a new user, Writer's Commentary or something, and post them all under that name? Or something similar?

Just my two cents.

I could see for miles, miles, miles
Old 10-26-2009
I eat Psych-Hating Babies

TheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatSporkWielder is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to TheGreatSporkWielder

I don't know if I would be very into this. To me, it seems like the writer's commentary would be pretty much in-story A/N's, which drive me nuts, because they tear me out of the story.

Now, if you wanted to do a separate thing where you describe your writing process for a certain fic, I would probably read that.

Something like:

TGSW Talks About that Silverware Fic.

So, my friend and I were discussing this inane conversation she'd had about silverware and spoons being whores and such, and I said, "Man, that sounds like something Shawn and Gus would talk about," and she replied, "Maybe you should write a fic about it." So I did.

And then I would go on to talk about my writing process.

This idea would probably work better if you did it as you were writing a particular fic, because then you could do something like,

Chapter 3:

*Arrrgh, I can't think of any more good ways to describe someone sneezing. I can't use "SNEEZED" 43902893 times, can I?

* I'm debating whether I should include Henry in this scene with [whatever going on]. I mean, I love Henry and I think he would work great, but I also don't know if it would be quite in character of him to [do whatever action].

*How did that Christmas song find its way into my Psych iTunes playlist? Huh.

Sort of a stream-of-consciousness thing.

I dunno. *shrugs*
Old 10-26-2009
Keeper of the Minions

Quote:
Originally Posted by patster View Post
Just a comment though: do you think we should post all the one-shots individulally? My thinking is that if someone had say five one-shots, and wanted to do a commentary for three of them, then they would have eight one-shots total. And for the people trying to find fic as opposed to the commentary it would be a little more difficult. So maybe with the one-shots we could do what Spork suggested over on the Secret Santa thread (which all of you should join *pimps*), and make a new user, Writer's Commentary or something, and post them all under that name? Or something similar?

Just my two cents.
That's a good idea. Or we could make it a challenge or something and people could post their responses to that. I'm not thinking this is something people will want to do for ALL their stories (but then I've been wrong before), so it shouldn't be too many stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatSporkWielder View Post
I don't know if I would be very into this. To me, it seems like the writer's commentary would be pretty much in-story A/N's, which drive me nuts, because they tear me out of the story.
Well, I'm thinking that if you want to read the story without the notes then you could do that. But it's like writer's commentary on a DVD. You watch the episode if you want to get the story, and you watch the episode with commentary if you want the commentary.

The actual story would still be there, this would just be an addition.