Old 11-07-2009
Not A Clone

collegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud of
Default "What the Cat Dragged In" by CK

Mia wanted this, and I can't say no.

http://www.psychfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2003
Old 11-07-2009
Keeper of the Minions

mia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehe. You looove me. *pokes*

Now talk more about writing OCs. *brings out notebook*
Old 11-09-2009
Not A Clone

collegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud of

Writing OC's isn't all that tricky. The only trick is making sure they are 1- Interesting and 2- Distinct from everyone else.

I won't get into the whole Marysue issue here right now, so for the moment I'll start with making sure they are interesting. This doesn't mean they have to be perfect, beautiful, witty, flawless, etc. Basically, all it means is that when they're in a scene they're doing something. This goes for any character, of course, not just OC's, but sometimes OC's tend to fade into the background and do nothing but provide a single plot point (i.e. the clue, a love interest,etc.) A good OC should be more than a plot point. This means they had a life before the camera started rolling on them. They've had places they've been, events that have shaped their worldview, etc. They also will continue to have a life after the camera rolls (unless, of course, you kill them, in which case you're a jerk).

Now, not all OC's will be developed this fully. Some are, in fact, just a brief one-shot appearance in a single scene/chapter (i.e. someone Lassie interviews). I don't really consider these OC's. They ARE plot points, and that's fine. Knowing who to even develop more is part of the secret. Psych has, for example, left some characters plot points that I personally would have developed more (the fire marshall person, for example. See? I can't even remember her name. Poorly developed character).

As for being distinct, this is easy to go overboard with. The tendency is to want them to steal the spotlight. That's not really the goal most of the time. It just means that they are their own person. They have their own voice that doesn't sound exactly like anyone else's. It's easy just to rename Shawn something else, or Gus, or Jules, or whoever. But something should make them different. You should be able to read a line of dialogue with no tag and know who said it just because of the way it's written. This is true for anyone, of course. You should be able to distinguish a Henry line from a Shawn line from a Gus line.
Old 11-09-2009
Keeper of the Minions

mia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond repute

Hee. Merci.