Old 11-04-2009
Wanted:a Shawn of my own!

MorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud ofMorganAdams has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to MorganAdams Send a message via Yahoo to MorganAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid06 View Post
Oh, Mo. Knife to the heart! Seriously. Ouch. Ouch. Dialouge is my life! I will just write conversations with no action, no description, just back and forth. I pretty much trained myself to paint scenes with as few words as possible. Again, this wasn't due to any training, just the way I taught myself. My schooling certainly didn't equip me beyond giving me a cursory knowledge of grammar. Anything I know about writing I've learned by reading or through trial and error, just figuring out what works and what sounds good. Fortunately, I've learned to essentially trust myself that if I like it, it's probably okay. As long as I have a reason and it's the way I want it to be, I'm happy.

But seriously, Mo. HOW do we write together? IGNORE dialogue? Mo. Mo. Mo. Your knife will be in my back whenever you want it back. :-P

P.S. you know i love you
Come on - you know that wasn't aimed at you!!! I admire your ability with dialogue!!! I think it is a distinctive and very effective part of your style. And I've tried it - and I suck at it! So I'm sticking with improving my own style!!

And by "ignoring" dialogue, I wasn't talking about writing, but life in general.

I like that you are happy with your style. I think that's a good thing. I've come around to making peace with mine as well. I have much to improve, but I think it helps if you accept your approach to writing and work within it instead of fighting against it.

PS Now, if I could get my students to have any kind of style at all, I would be happy!

(banner and avatar courtesy of TerpsichoreanCat - thank you!)
Old 11-04-2009
Not A Clone

collegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud ofcollegekid06 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganAdams View Post
Come on - you know that wasn't aimed at you!!! I admire your ability with dialogue!!! I think it is a distinctive and very effective part of your style. And I've tried it - and I suck at it! So I'm sticking with improving my own style!!

And by "ignoring" dialogue, I wasn't talking about writing, but life in general.

I like that you are happy with your style. I think that's a good thing. I've come around to making peace with mine as well. I have much to improve, but I think it helps if you accept your approach to writing and work within it instead of fighting against it.

PS Now, if I could get my students to have any kind of style at all, I would be happy!

lol. You know I love giving you a hard time. Developing your own style is the most important thing any writer can do, IMHO. If we all wrote the same, it'd be so boring. There's not a thing about your style I'd change, and you know it. Stop thinking you suck at dialogue, because you so don't. You know that. Do I ahve to go over the whole THeory of Mo again with you again? Because I will! :-P
Old 11-04-2009
Keeper of the Minions

mia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid06 View Post
lol. You know I love giving you a hard time. Developing your own style is the most important thing any writer can do, IMHO. If we all wrote the same, it'd be so boring. There's not a thing about your style I'd change, and you know it. Stop thinking you suck at dialogue, because you so don't. You know that. Do I ahve to go over the whole THeory of Mo again with you again? Because I will! :-P
*raises hand* As will I. And you know that will just get embarassing for all of us.

Loooove you, Mo.
Old 11-04-2009
SHERLOAF HOLMES

patster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms startpatster has reached the point where Psychisms start

It's interesting how your guy's style was so influenced by how you were raised/taught to write. I totally agree with CK, developing a style is one of the best things you can do, whether rooted in description or dialogue. I feel a little overwhelmed by you two, because your styles are so opposite and mine feels a lot more in the middle LOL. I spent the first 14 years of my life reading non-stop, so I think my style developed after watching others and seeing what worked, and then putting my own spin on it.

I could see for miles, miles, miles