Old 12-02-2013
Founder of S.W.A.T.

Location: what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
dragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boys
Default Dis-Lodged Stuff

I just noticed (like, HOW many years later?) that, even in the midst of a spat, Henry still protected Shawn from the truth about his cat. Just like with the "bunnies on the wheat farm" story - Henry tells Shawn that his cat is in some sort of cat retirement community. Now, it makes me wonder at the motivation.

Does he do that out of pure daddy love and not wanting to see his boy sad?

Does he do it because Shawn would kick up a giant fuss and hate on him as an animal killer?

Or does he do it because he just really is incapable of any kind of uncomfortable and emotionally stressful conversation?

Or possibly all three? Guuh, getting those daddy/son angsty feelings all over again!!! (as if they ever truly left!)

Old 12-07-2013

redwolffclaw will become famous soon enoughredwolffclaw will become famous soon enough

I JUST noticed you posted this.

I kind of explored it in one of my stories. I think it is mostly the first one. In Earth Wind and Wait for Iiiiiit. Henry admits to doing what all parents do and says that his bunnies are in a safe place to spare Shawn the pain of knowing they died.

It may explain why Shawn has always been so unafraid when facing death, or why he is so incredibly distraught when *Spoiler for season 6*----- when Pierre "dies" and he realizes just what death really entails and it isn't all the "cat retirement community" as it were.
Old 12-07-2013
Founder of S.W.A.T.

Location: what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
dragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boysdragonnan knows that calico cats cannot be little boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolffclaw View Post
I JUST noticed you posted this.

I kind of explored it in one of my stories. I think it is mostly the first one. In Earth Wind and Wait for Iiiiiit. Henry admits to doing what all parents do and says that his bunnies are in a safe place to spare Shawn the pain of knowing they died.

It may explain why Shawn has always been so unafraid when facing death, or why he is so incredibly distraught when *Spoiler for season 6*----- when Pierre "dies" and he realizes just what death really entails and it isn't all the "cat retirement community" as it were.
And that makes me really ponder Shawn's mindset regarding death - not just right now - but from childhood too. I mean - Henry has always been very blunt and unwavering in teaching Shawn everything from how to shoot a gun to how to read a murder scene to how to escape from a trunk "when" he's kidnapped. And yet, in this most basic and eventual of things... Henry chooses the "went to a farm" story. Like EVERY time!! And even into adulthood he refuses to give Shawn any other story whether they're talking about Shawn's bunnies or his cat. But WHY? Why does Henry go counter to his own rules?

And sure, there's a good chance this was Maddie's influence - though it SEEMS like she'd be fairly practical with regards to raising Shawn (when she was actually home...). It just comes back around, again, to the fact that there had to be something with Shawn that made him absolutely terrified of death - because the theme has come up in MANY ways throughout the series. Not just with regards to past pets, but also when he told Gus about his hatred for funerals (Shabby episode) as well as, as you mentioned, the "death" of Pierre. I just cannot help thinking that something must have triggered the decision to separate Shawn from as many aspects of death as possible.